The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME) is developing the DC Public Education Master Facilities Plan 2018 (MFP), a forward-looking, comprehensive document that is required under DC Code § 38-2803. The MFP provides an opportunity to inform strategic and sustainable facilities management and long-term planning for DCPS, charter LEAs, city agencies, and others. The MFP will use population forecasts, enrollment projections, utilization analyses, and facility data to better understand the current landscape of the District's public school facilities, as well as the public education facilities needs over the next decade. The DME expects the MFP to be released the summer of 2018.
DME has contracted with AECOM and Miramar Ponte Mellor of DC to produce the MFP. This involves engaging with community and education stakeholders, performing the analyses, and providing recommendations. AECOM and Miramar Ponte Mellor DC have extensive, nationwide public education facilities planning experience and specialize in assisting school systems maximize the contribution of real estate holdings to institutional and academic goals and objectives.
Community engagement and feedback are critical to the successful completion of the MFP. Three Districtwide community engagement meetings will be held in early April in locations throughout the District. The goal of the April community engagement meetings is to understand the community's priorities and thoughts about facilities planning in the District and to gather feedback regarding outputs of the MFP. The same materials and exercises will be conducted at all three meetings.
Meeting dates and locations for April 2018 meetings (same presentation and materials at all three meetings):
- Community engagement #1: Tuesday, April 10, 6:30pm at Columbia Heights Education Campus, 3101 16th St NW RSVP
- Community engagement #2: Thursday, April 12, 6:30pm at Center City PCS - Capitol Hill, 1503 East Capitol St SE RSVP
- Community engagement #3: Saturday, April 14, 10:00am at C.W. Harris Elementary School, 301 53rd St SE RSVP
- April community engagement Slide Deck
- April community engagement Exercise English Spanish
- April community engagement questions & answers
- Missed the April meetings? Submit feedback about the MFP 2018 topic areas.
Three additional Districtwide community engagement meetings will be held in July 2018. The goal of these meetings will be to present preliminary findings and provide a status update to the community.
Feedback is also encouraged outside of the meetings. Contact [email protected] with additional questions or concerns about the MFP.