Master Facilities Plan town halls coming up in October!
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME) is developing the DC Public Education Master Facilities Plan 2023 (MFP) following requirements stated in DC Code § 38–2803. The process will result in a 5- to 10-year plan that addresses the following three goals, while affirmatively advancing equity and excellence in public schools in Washington, DC:
- Ensure school facilities are efficiently utilized.
- Ensure every student is enrolled in a modern state of the art facility.
- Ensure every student’s daily experience is in a well-maintained facility.
Elements of the MFP 2023 include consistent and transparent programmatic facility capacities, future enrollment and utilization trends, and recommendations addressing capacity needs and streamlining maintenance operations.
DME contracted with a team led by Perkins Eastman that includes WXY Studio, LINK Strategic Partners, and The D.C. Policy Center to support the development of the MFP 2023. The DME is concurrently running the 2023 Boundary and Student Assignment Study (Boundary Study) using the same contractual team. Information from the MFP 2023 will support that study. More information about the Boundary Study process can be found here.
The MFP 2023 will reflect community input via extensive feedback opportunities. These include:
- Three rounds of townhalls (May, July, and fall). Access materials and recordings from previous town halls here.
- Engagement with school communities around revised programmatic capacities of DCPS schools (to be scheduled)
- Continuous engagement at existing stakeholder meetings
- Online feedback forms (from town hall #2)
Follow the DME on social media (@DMEforDC on Twitter and @DMEforDC on Instagram) to learn more about the times and locations of the townhalls, and other related engagement opportunities, as well as check back on this DME website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to view some Frequently Asked Questions about the Master Facilities Plan.
For questions, please e-mail the DME at [email protected] with questions allowing 2 business days for a reply.